The name “Jory” is evidently French. It just means “George”, and comes from the base-Latin “georius”, for farmer. There is a French Jory coat of arms of three red chevrons on a gold field; and its simplicity indicates that it is very old. There are three villages named St. Jory in France. Possibly the name originated at the time of the Crusades. According to Butler’s Lives of the Saints, St George was a soldier who was martyred in Asia Minor in the fourth century, and thereafter became much revered in the Byzantine world. During the First Crusade the crusaders (mostly French) picked up devotion to St George on their way through to the Holy Land; and the saint allegedly appeared to one of the leaders, Geoffrey of Bouillon, before the crusader attack on Antioch, in which they were successful. Thereafter the cult of St George took on in a big way in France. St George was certainly known in Western Europe before then — centuries of pilgrimages to the Holy Land ensured that — but it’s my (romantic) guess that the French name Jory took root soon after the First Crusade. Genforum at genealogy.com
Father: James Jory (1739 in St. Cleer, Cornwall, England– Dec. 1835 in St. Cleer) son of John Jory. Married to Elizabeth Pearse on May 14, 1777 at St. Cleer, Cornwall, England. James was the only son in his family & he had three sisters, Anne, Grace, and Mary. His father was John Jory.
Mother: Elizabeth Pearse (Sept. 30, 1753 in St. Cleer, Cornwall, England – Feb. 1837 in St. Cleer) daughter of William & Mary (Jorey) Pearce. Elizabeth baptized Sept. 30 1753. Her parents, William & Mary, were married at St. Cleer in 1752.
Sisters: Mary Jory b. May 7, 1780 in St. Cleer & baptized October 12, 1781. Died on Oct. 12, 1781 in St. Cleer.
Mary Jory b. June 13, 1783 & baptized on July 13, 1783 in St. Cleer.
Grace Jory b. Sept. 22, 1791 & baptized on October 16 or 23, 1791. Married to John Nile in 1812. Children are Caroline Nile b. 1817, James Nile b. 1822, John Nile b. 1824 & George Nile b. 1829.
1787 – James is b. on Aug. 7, at St. Cleer Parish, Cornwall, England & baptized Sept. 23, 1787.
1814 – Married to Mary Stephens on Sept. 28. Mary was b. on Sept. 28, 1792 in St. Cleer Parish, Cornwall, England. Her parents were William & Wilmot (Austin) Stephens
1815 – John Hicks is b. July 7 in St. Cleer Parish, Cornwall, England
1817 – Mary Ann is b. June 29 in St. Cleer Parish, Cornwall, England
1820 – James Jr. is b. on June 9 in St. Cleer Parish, Cornwall, England
1822 – Elizabeth is b. June 16 in St. Cleer Parish, Cornwall, England
1824 – Henry is b. April 7 in St. Cleer Parish, Cornwall, England
1826 – Thomas is b. Jan. 20 in St. Cleer Parish, Cornwall, England
1828 – William is b. on Sept. 20 in St. Cleer Parish, Cornwall, England
Unhappy with conditions in England, in particular a parish law that bound children out to a master at the tender age of 9, the family acquired a small piece of land which had been fouled by tin prospectors. Working hard, they restored fertility to the land, putting the gravel back underground and top soil back above. Using the large rocks and boulders they constructed a good, strong building. The land was then farmed, and by selling the produce and eventually the land itself, they raised the fare for passage across the Atlantic.
(The Jory Family of Oregon by Sandy Frediani)
1830 – April 3, left England on an old lumber ship named the Restitution & took 8 weeks & 5 days to get to St. Johns, New Brunswick, Canada.
1830 – June 4, arrived in Canada & farmed in poor soil. Later they decided to move to St. John, New Brunswick where James Sr. used his skills as a mechanic. John & James Jr. cut timber.
1831 – Jane is b. July 23 in New Brunswick, Canada. She died Jan. 22, 1833 in New Brunswick, Canada.
1833 – Hugh Stephen is b. Nov. 28 in St. John, New Brunswick, Canada
1836 – Oct. 25 or 31, Sailed to NY on the Mary Elizabeth because they wanted to cut through the Erie Canal in search of fertile farming land in Northern Canada.
1836 – Nov. 7 left NY. Changed their minds about Canada & instead headed for Missouri on a ship called the Franklin. Took 6 weeks & 5 days to get to New Orleans.
1836 – Nov. 28, traveled from New Orleans to St. Lewis MO on a steam boat named the George Collier.
1836 – Dec. 11, they arrived at New Orleans just before Christmas. Worked on the farm of a leading citizen, Colonel John O’Fallon.
1837 – They were shocked that blacks were treated as slaves and decided to move across the river to Pittsfield, Pike County, Illinois in the fall of 1837 & buy a farm of 40 acres part prairie & part timber.
1840 – The family is living at Spring Creek Township, Pike County, Illinois. The Budds and John Fenn newly married to Mary Jory lived nearby.
1846 – James Jr. married & bought the the original farm of 40 acres at or before this time, while James Sr. moved to a farm in Mt. Sterling, Brown Co. about 40 miles away. The Jory’s were doing well financially, however James Jr. was afraid of Malaria which was prevalent in the county. He talked his entire family into moving to Oregon, except Henry.
1846 – Mary Ann Jory Fenn dies of malaria in Nov. in Pike Co., Illinois before they set out for Oregon and was buried on the hillside near her home. She asks her sister Elizabeth to care for her children on the trip to Oregon.
1847 – In spring they began the trip to Oregon. James Jory Jr. agreed to meet his father & brothers at Independence, but was unable to locate them when he got there. He went on without them & the families reunited at Umatilla. The family may have been delayed by the death of Mary Ann.
1847 – “Dr. Whitman came out from the blue mountains, a distance of about 150 miles, to meet our party and to pilot them over the trail to the mission. A stop of three weeks was made at the Whitman Mission. Dr. Whitman tried to persuade the immigrants to remain over at the mission until spring. (Note…The Whitman Massacre occurred on Nov. 29, 1847 and the eagerness of the emigrants to reach Oregon probably saved them from sharing the fate of Dr. Whitman.” (Elizabeth Nancy Jory Coonc, daughter of Mary Ann Jory)
1847 – They arrived in Oregon City in Dec. 25 & spent the winter there. Next they came up the valley to Mission Bottom where they spent a year or more working and looking for a place to settle. “They were struck with the attractive little settlement at Salem (then the Institute) and the advantages of church and school….This (South Salem) was the land of oak trees, and the Father Jory having seen such timber in England believed that the soil would prove fertile”. (James Jory Jr.) The land did indeed become profitable for raising cattle, wheat, fruit & prunes.
1849 – Nov. 10 James Jory Sr. – land claim settled.
1850 – census records show James Sr. with wife, Thomas, William & Hugh farming in Marion Co, Oregon Territory.
1850 – Feb. 10, John Hicks – land claim settled.
1850 – May 10, James Jr. – land claim settled.
1852 – June 28, Thomas – land claim settled.
1852 – May 20, William – land claim settled.
The total amount of land claimed by the family equaled 2,560 acres. “There is an old
story that the corners of three of the Jory donation claims came together, and at first the family lived in one house, each with a bedroom on his own claim. (John W Jory, Son of James Jr. Jory could not confirm the story as absolutely true.) A granddaughter remembers that their fireplace in the log cabin was made of mud and sticks. It had a clapboard roof and puncheon floor & door.
“In that part of Oregon the Jory Settlement is as well known as the French Praire Settlement where the French Canadian employees of the Hudson Bay Co. settled. There were a great many volunteers for the Indian Wars of the fifties from the Jory Settlement and the vicinity.” (Elizabeth Nancy Coone)
1860 – Census records show James & Mary living with their son, Hugh in Salem, Santiam Precinct, Marion, OR. (Hugh Stephen lived in Salem instead of farming in S Salem.)
1870 – census records show James & Mary Jory living with their son James Jr. & family at Jefferson, Jefferson Precinct, Marion, OR.
1870 – James Jory Sr. d. Thursday Sept. 22 of typhoid fever at the home of his son, James Jory seven miles south of Salem & buried in the Jory Cemetery, Cole Rd. near Rosedale, OR. Funeral services at 11 am Saturday at the Mt. Pisgah school house, six miles south of Salem.
1875 – Mary Stephens Jory d. on Sept. 15 & is buried in the Jory Cemetery, Cole Rd. near Rosedale, OR.